Call Us: 212-396–3020
310 East 65th Street, Suite 1C, NY, NY 10065
So, you and your loved one have recently welcomed a newborn into your family, but you are still looking to grow. This time, you want your new addition to walk on four legs and be covered with fur – we are talking about a dog, of course!
While dogs can be a great addition to any family, you want to be extra careful when selecting a breed if there is a baby in the house. Ultimately, dogs should be selected based on three major factors:
- Temperament: another word for personality. Ideally, your new dog should be calm and agreeable.
- Size: size is important because it often factors into a dog’s temperament.
- Energy level: be realistic with how often you can exercise your dog. If you can’t meet their needs, their excess energy will lead to behavioral problems.
With these three factors in mind, here are the top 10 dog breeds for homes with babies, according to PetMD:
- Bulldog – their sturdy build is perfect for a roughhousing child.
- Beagle – small, calm dogs who love the outdoors.
- Bull Terrier – like the bulldog, this breed has a high pain threshold.
- Collie – easy to train and rarely misbehave.
- Newfoundland – nicknamed “Nature’s babysitter,” they are one of the most intelligent breeds in the world.
- Vizsla – the Vizsla is affectionate and obedient, but requires regular exercise.
- Irish Setter – this breed loves the company of their family so much, they can actually suffer from separation anxiety.
- Poodle – a smart, gentle dog that is available in miniature and standard sizes.
- Labrador Retriever – playful, patient, loving, protective, easy to train. The list goes on.
- Golden Retriever – one of the most popular dog breeds, for good reason. Golden retrievers are known for their patience, which makes them a perfect match for children.
Once you introduce a new dog into your home, one of the first things you should do is find a trustworthy veterinarian. As Manhattan’s #1 vet, Upper East Side Animal Hospital offers comprehensive care for your canine companion. From routine care, to dentistry, to medical procedures, we do it all! To learn more call 212-396-3020.
Our Hours of Operation
Monday: 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
Tuesday: 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
Thursday: 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
ASK THE VET
Connect With Us:
What Our Clients Say
Read our reviews to see if our hospital is a good fit for you and your pet.