Call Us: 212-396–3020
310 East 65th Street, Suite 1C, NY, NY 10065
Planning on hitting the Hamptons with your furry friend this summer? If so, you’ll want to make sure you are 100% prepared for that long car ride from NYC out to Long Island’s east end. So, without further ado, here’s what we suggest to make the trip as safe and successful as possible:
- Take a test drive. If you’re from the Big Apple, like many of our patients’ parents are, chances are your pet hasn’t had very much experience driving around in a car. In that case, you’ll want to get him used to it before tackling a two-to-three hour car ride.
- Keep all paws inside. We know it may be tempting to roll the window down so Fido can enjoy his ears flapping in the wind, but please think twice! Allowing him to ride with his head out the window makes him more susceptible to an eye injury. Plus, you wouldn’t want him hopping out in traffic, would you?
- Pack plenty of water. Riding in the car can be both exciting and scary for your pup, which means a lot of panting! Don’t forget to pack some bottled water, and stop often to let him sip and stretch along the way.
- Update his dog tags. While we sure hope that Fido stays with his paws firmly planted at your feet, it’s always important to expect the unexpected. If he happens to get loose while on vacation, make sure he’s got an accurate set of dog tags so he’ll be able to find his way home.
- Update all his vaccines. While you’re in the booking and planning process, don’t forget to schedule some time to have Fido checked out by your veterinarian. Making sure his vaccines are all up to date is important, as is having a pre-trip checkup to make sure he’s not coming down with a cold!
Where are you planning to take a trip this summer? We’d love to hear all about your travel plans on our Facebook page — or perhaps at your next vet visit!